Find an Occupational Therapist

Occupational therapists can help people of all ages when physical and mental illness, disability, long-term condition, or the effects of ageing prevent them from doing the activities they need or want to do.

Whether it's essential day-to-day tasks, such as cooking and dressing, or returning to work, or the fun things in life, like a hobby or socialising, an occupational therapist will work with you to find different ways of carrying out activities to help you live life your way.


Help finding an occupational therapist

Talk to your GP about contacting an occupational therapist locally. If you regularly see a social worker, nurse or other health care professional, they can help you to contact an occupational therapist via health or social services, depending on the problems you are experiencing. Be prepared to describe any difficulties that you have and how they are affecting your daily life, or the lives of those who care for you. You may want to know how long it will be before you get an appointment, so remember to ask if there is a waiting list.

Find an independent (private) occupational therapist

An independent occupational therapist works outside the national health and social care services. These practitioners will charge for their services.

You will need to enter your location and the service that you are looking for. Occupational therapists nearest your location will be listed first. All the occupational therapists on the directory are registered with the Health & Care Professions Council (HCPC), are members of British Association of Occupational Therapists (BAOT) and the Specialist Section. All these therapists have individual professional indemnity insurance.
We would suggest that you make contact with more than one occupational therapist, if possible. This will give you information to compare. The College of Occupational Therapists cannot recommend any particular therapist or company.


Find an independent (private) occupational therapist using our search tool >>


Check an occupational therapist is registered to practise

If you would like to complain about an occupational therapist, please read our briefing:
All occupational therapists are required to be registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) before they can practise. The HCPC is responsible for the conduct, performance and ethical behaviour of its registrants.


Complaining about an occupational therapist

If you would like to complain about an occupational therapist, please read our briefing: