Working in the United Kingdom (UK)

Occupational therapy practice

We recommend that all occupational therapists wanting to work in the United Kingdom (UK) make themselves fully aware of the national policies and legislation in each of the Four UK Countries - Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and England. The best way to do this is initially to become an overseas member of the British Association of Occupational Therapists (BAOT). Visit for full details. On arrival in the UK you can become a BAOT professional member and take advantage of local networking and study events and other benefits which will help you settle into your new professional community.

Getting registered

To practise in the UK you must be registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC), the regulatory body. 'Occupational therapist' is a legally protected title which may only be used by registered occupational therapists. In order to get registered, applicants must fulfil the HCPC criteria which includes professional indemnity insurance and CPD requirements. Membership of BAOT provides this insurance as part of the BAOT membership benefits. You can join BAOT at:

Full information on the process for international applicants can be found at:
For further information contact:
Registration Department The Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
Park House
184 Kennington Park Road
London SE11 4BU
United Kingdom
Tel: +44 (0) 845 300 4472/+44 (0) 20 7582 5460
Fax: +44 (0) 20 7840 9801
Application forms and guidance notes can be downloaded from the HCPC website.
Qualifications and English proficiency are taken into account. If you are a European Economic Area (EEA) or Swiss national applicant, specific information is also available for you. There is a processing fee.
PLEASE NOTE: as of 3 January 2012, requirements for international applications have changed.

Information on immigration and working in the UK

Can be obtained from:
UK Border Agency
Lunar House
40 Wellesley Road
Surrey CR9 2BY
United Kingdom
Tel: +44 (0) 870 606 7766 - 'Working in the UK' section
A points based system has been introduced for ‘skilled workers'. Occupational therapists are no longer on the Home Office Shortage Occupations List (HOSOL) for fast tracking. Conditions for EEA citizens are different.

Employment opportunities for occupational therapists

Employment opportunities for occupational therapists in the UK are more limited than they have been in past years due to service restructuring and financial pressures, particularly in the National Health Service. However there are a large number of vacancies in the London area. It may therefore take some time to find a suitable position. The introduction of a points based system for non EEA or Swiss nationals to enter the UK to work has also made it more difficult for occupational therapists to come to the UK from outside Europe.

Finding a job

Vacancy listings are available to BAOT members online at and in OTnews. Work is available in health, social care and community settings as well as in the independent sector, education, housing etc. Agencies may also be helpful for short term work.

You may also like to look at the NHS jobs website: and local authority websites.

A copy of the above text is available here: