Take part in Occupational Therapy Week and celebrate your profession alongside occupational therapists across the country.
There are so many different audiences locally that need to hear about the benefits of occupational therapy, including:
• Commissioners, including GPs
- • Senior managers
- • Service users and their families
- • Schools and colleges
- • Other health and social care professionals
- • Local and national government policy makers
Things to do for Occupational Therapy Week
Consider what you want to achieve during occupational therapy week.
Give yourself a target for example:
• tell 20 people (that’s four a day) about the benefits of occupational therapy;
• get a story in your company in-house magazine about your department;
• visit a school and show the students and teachers what occupational therapy can do and what a rewarding career it is.
Little actions can make a difference
Last year one service created an OT Week screen saver and this was used by every member of the service during OT Week. This was an effective and yet simple way to promote the profession.
Ultimately your actions will make a difference in informing people about occupational therapy. Use Occupational Therapy Week as your chance to demonstrate the pride you have in your profession…
"Occupational Therapy Week 2012 was a real turning point for our small OT team. We all felt as though we can do something to influence what people think about OTs and this was hugely motivating. It was good to see all the OTs working together and being far more positive afterwards."
Tell us what your plans are for OT Week 2013 and help inspire other OTs.
You can contact us on Twitter using the hashtag #OTWeek14, on Facebook or email.
OT Week resources
You could use the time between now and OT Week to arrange a meeting with a service commissioner, political representative or other decision maker. There are lots of useful template letters and tips in this section of the site which will help you plan, prepare and promote your meeting.
- OT Week General Checklist
- OT Week Hints and Tips
- Template press release
- Guide to contacting the media
- Template letter to GPs
- Template letter to comissioners
- Template letter to politicians
- Template letter to premise managers to ask for permission to set up an OT Week stand
- Template invitation to VIP guest
- OT Week logo
- OT Week banner
Find out more about how you can:
- Promote Occupational Therapy to GPs
- Promote Occupational Therapy to the public
- Promote Occupational Therapy to young people, teachers, and careers advisors
- Run a VIP event
- Involve the media
- Use social media to promote OT